Eric Parkin on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:34:11 -0500

Introduction (Eric Parkin)

Greeting,

     My name is Eric Parkin, just came across your listing on www.pm.org.  I
live in Roslyn Valley, roughly the center of Abington Township in Montgomery
County, outside of Philadelphia.  Either way, wanted to introduce myself,
I'm a full time software developer who almost 100% of the time uses perl out
of preference.  I've written several large software packages for my
employer's intranet, and I'm now working on another application which uses
the Perl DBI::DBD for MySql on Linux for a Quality Assurance Corrective
Action software package.
     Quite glad to see that there is an abundant supply of perl coders
nearby.  I did notice a Glenside pm group, but the email addy bounced.  Was
hoping for something in the suburbs as I don't like the city (even though I
grew up there).  May have to startup an Abington group, but that doesn't
discount interacting with the Philadelphia branch.
     Some information about my background. 28 years old, involved with
computers since 1981, First email account circa 1983.  Ran Somerton Telecomm
BBS from 1987-1996 on an Amiga Network (learned ARexx which eventually lead
me to perl).  Fluent in several languages (currently working on Welsh and
Japanese) spoken/read/written as well as computer related.  Art background,
music background (classically trained), etc.  Currently running Linux Redhat
7.1, wife is currently running Linux Mandrake 8.1.  Wiring house this winter
with 1,400 ft of Category 6e (Cat7 - Gigabit) Plenum for 48 nodes, 5 nodes
wired thus far).  I also race in the SCCA in Hillclimb/Rally competition.  I
quasi-periodically maintain my own (pitiful excuse for a) website
(originally created to cover my Racing events), at
http://www.op.net/~eparkin as well as my wife's online comic strip
http://www.doemainofourown.com (from 1999 through now) (I learned perl to
create her html pages).  Either way, Hello.  If anyone is in the Abington
area especially, please drop me a line.

/*
  Eric G. Parkin - IT Department
  Software Developer