mjd-perl-pm on Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:26:16 -0500

Who would be interested in a tour of Pennsylvania Hospital?

Pennsylvania Hospital, located around 9th and Spruce Streets, is the
oldest hospital in the US.  It was founded by Ben Franklin and Thomas
Bond in 1751.  Although the original building isn't still standing,
the building on Pine Street dates from 1755, and the original
cornerstone, with an inscription by Franklin, is still visible.

The Pine Street building includes a number of features of historic
interest, including the original surgical amphitheater (where medical
students would watch surgery performed), a medical library (also first
in the U.S.), an 18th-Century fire engine, the moat around the west
wing where the mental patients were housed, etc.

Normally, only self-guided walking tours are available, but I was
fortunate enough to run into the archivist the other day, and I think
I might be able to talk her into giving a special tour to a group.
This note is to gauge interest before I call up and bother her.

If you think you might be interested, please send a brief note to
        mjd-misc-pahosp@plover.com

If I can get twelve responses, I'll call the archivist and try to set
up a tour this month or next.

Also please feel free to circulate this to anyone you might think
would be interested.

More information:

        http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/pahosp/about_pahosp/history/index.html