Geoffrey Young on Tue, 7 May 2002 08:07:58 -0400

slides from mod_perl talk

hi all...

I had a great time last night, and I hope everyone else did as well. I know the material was rather dense, but hopefully it gave you an idea what mod_perl is all about so that you can start to explore it on your own. thanks for not driving me off stage with eggs and cabbages.

as promised, my presentation slides (with the list of resources at the end) are available for all:
http://www.modperlcookbook.org/~geoff/slides/phl.ppt (all 269 slides)
http://www.modperlcookbook.org/~geoff/slides/phl-printable.ppt (the 61 "real" slides)

to pay the group back for letting me ramble, I'm making the PDF version of my book available as well. it's 2.3MB and I only have PDF, but it's still handy.
http://www.modperlcookbook.org/~geoff/book/cookbook.tar.gz

your credentials are phl/mongers which will last only a day or so, so get it while you can :)

for the technically fastidious, here are some answers to questions that were posed last night where I either got the answer wrong or sufficiently stumbled around what I should have said.

  $r->the_request contains the raw data from the Request-Line, not unescaped data.

mod_auth does not decline to operate on subrequests, and if all authentication handlers choose to decline the transaction Apache will throw an error. The real reason for declining to handle subrequests when authenticating (which didn't come out last night) is that since the content from a subrequest never makes it to the client it's usually a waste of processing cycles to validate the user.

I forgot to mention that there are a few caveats to the existing Apache::Filter implementation that I just discovered last week. So, if you implement Apache::Filter as I showed it will work _most_ of the time, but not all the time. I'll just leave it at that :)

please feel free to email me (either privately or on the list if that's considered acceptable) with any other questions, comments, or whatnot - I'll happily (attempt to) answer just about anything.

  again, thanks...

--Geoff