Walt Mankowski on Tue, 7 May 2002 15:16:50 -0400

Re: Circle problem from last night

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:59:23PM -0400, Eric Roode wrote:
> WARNING: spoiler ensues.

Please include spoiler space when giving spoilers!  :-)

> It's much simpler than that, Geoff. :-)

I think not.

> If you assume that whoever told you that you had enough information to
> solve the problem was correct, then you know that the area of the
> ring-shaped floor is independent of the radii of the inner and outer
> circles.

That's a big assumption.  True, if you assume the problem is solveable
then it's trvial, but it's by no means obvious (at least not to me)
that you have enough information to solve the problem.

Walt