Eric Roode on Tue, 7 May 2002 16:20:50 -0400

Re: Coin puzzle

WARNING: Hints enclosed.

Kurt D. Starsinic writes:
 >     At the risk of sounding dense, I don't see how it's possible.  There's
 > no scenario where I'm guaranteed to know how to win in one move, and I don't
 > even see how I can know whether I've got a 1/3 or 2/2 layout.

You're on the right track in thinking of the coin layout.  How many
possible layouts are there, effectively? (considering that the coins
may be rotated to your friend's content between moves)

Hint #2:  How many kinds of moves can you make, really?  You noted
that flipping one coin is equivalent to flipping three coins. What
other sorts of moves are there?