rGeoffrey on Wed, 15 May 2002 14:18:44 -0400

Re: Error message

At 13:32 05/15/2002, Eric Roode wrote:
Use of & to invoke functions is bad form. Has undesirable side
effects.

When I started working at my current job I followed the style used in the group, which was to always use the &function () method of calling subroutines. The big reason given for using the '&', which is not really needed, is that it makes it easier to read and much easier to grep through the code looking for subroutine calls.

I have started to leave the '&' off in my newer code, but I am still not sure why it matters. What makes it 'bad form'?