Walt Mankowski on Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:01:08 -0400

[tim@consultix-inc.com: SPUG: YAPC Movie available for download]

And I'll attempt to trump David's laziness by forwarding *his* forward
to you folks. :-)

I'll just add that Tim's email doesn't really do justice to just how
incredibly funny this video is.

Enjoy.

Walt

----- Forwarded message from "David H. Adler" <dha@panix.com> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:47:17 -0400
From: "David H. Adler" <dha@panix.com>
To: "ny.pm" <ny@lists.pm.org>
Subject: [tim@consultix-inc.com: SPUG: YAPC Movie available for download]
	"ny.pm" <ny@lists.pm.org>

I would have probably announced this anyway, but Tim did a better job
than I probably would have, having seen schwern's "How To Be Lazy" talk
a few too many time.  :-)

Thanks Tim.

----- Forwarded message from Tim Maher <tim@consultix-inc.com> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:06:49 -0700
From: Tim Maher <tim@consultix-inc.com>
To: spug-list@pm.org
Subject: SPUG: YAPC Movie available for download

SPUGsters,

Nat Torkington produced a humorous movie during YAPC, which was presented
as the penultimate Lightning Talk. (Okay, I'll admit it, this was a clever
scheme by Yours Truly to warm up the audience for my "Name Game" talk).

It's called "A Python Programmer learns Perl from the Masters", and it
stars Casey West as a befuddled Pythoner trying to make sense out of
YAPC and Perl.

It features lots of Perl luminaries, but unless you know who they are
already, you won't always know who's who, so I'll provide this guide.

In order of appearance, the actors are: Jon Orwant, Casey West, Abigail,
Elaine Ashton, Jarkko Hietaniemi, Dan Sugalski, Michael Schwern, Simon
Cozens, Uri Guttman, Damian Conway, Larry Wall, Mark-Jason Dominus,
Nat Torkington, and then Uri again.

I guess one could say the movie is sort of a high-tech version of
Animal House (and I'll leave you to ponder the question of whether that's
necessarily a Good Thing!)

It runs about 8 minutes, and you can find it at
	http://www.perl.org/yapc/2002/movies.

There are also sound-only clips of some conference talks at
	http://www.perl.org/yapc/2002/audio.

And someday soon there will be still images at
	http://www.perl.org/yapc/2002/images.

You won't be able to travel backwards in time until Damian's
Time::Space::Continuum.pm hits the CPAN, so experiencing YAPC 2002 through
frozen media clips is still the next best thing to having been there!

-Tim

P.S.  The new deadline for TPF donations that qualify you for the Free
Training with Damian raffle is 7/5 (see teachmeperl.com/apworkshop.html).
And there's still room for *paying customers* in all Damian's classes too!

----- End forwarded message -----

--
David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Packard Bell doesn't make computers, they make elaborate paperweights.