Adam Turoff on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:07:21 -0400

Re: Dinner Monday -- Nodding Head

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:13:36PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 05:47:02PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> > We're due for a dinner meeting Monday night.  Anyone feeling decisive?
> > I was thinking of suggesting Jones (the new retro 70's themed Stephen
> > Starr restaurant at 7th and Chestnut) but I've seen some mixed
> > reviews.
>
> Well, since no one else has come up with any suggestions, and since I
> remembered that they just won a gold and a bronze medal at the Great
> American Beer Festival, I'm going to be decisive and say we should go
> to Nodding Head[1] this month.  We'll be meeting there on Monday,
> October 21[2] at 7 PM.  Nodding Head is at 1516 Sansom St.

I believe that the gold medal was for the Grog, which is a Dark Mild.
(Dark Mild is a dark beer style that's remarkably pleasant and
light bodied.  It's a lot less heavy than a stout, and comparable
to a porter but milder still.  Very drinkable.)

I haven't tasted this particular concoction yet, but I have a
sneaking suspicion that it's out of their (former?) head brewer's
recipe book -- the same brewer who is responsible for Yard's
wonderful Dark Mild of years-gone-by.

Enjoy!

Z.

PS: I forget what the other medal was for, but it was probably a belgian
    style.