Gay, Jerry on Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:31:35 -0400

RE: Installing Modules on Wintel

barry--

just a follow-up. today, an EXCELLENT guide to compiling perl modules on
win32 was posted on my favorite perl site, http://perlmonks.org/. here's the
link: http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=249803. if you need any more
help, feel free to contact me here, or at perlmonks, where my handle is
particle.

--jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Gay, Jerry
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 9:04 AM
To: 'phl@lists.pm.org'
Subject: RE: Installing Modules on Wintel

barry--

i know i'm stepping in a bit late, but i think i can offer a little insight
about the vcvars32 batch file. this info was copied from the microsoft msdn
website ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/ ):

~~~
CL.EXE, LINK.EXE, and other command-line tools require that certain
environment variables be set properly. These include PATH, which must point
to the \bin subdirectory of your Visual C++ installation, LIB, which must
point to \lib, and INCLUDE, which must point to \include.

When you install Visual C++, setup creates a batch file, VCVARS32.BAT,
containing commands to modify the PATH, LIB, and INCLUDE environment
variables. If these variables haven't been set properly, run VCVARS32.BAT
before you compile at the command prompt. VCVARS32.BAT is located in the
\bin subdirectory. Note that you do not need to run VCVARS32.BAT if you are
compiling your program inside the development environment.
~~~

for more info, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HT
ML/_core_Set_Environment_Variables.asp
hope that helps.

if you're still having trouble getting Time::Piece built, perhaps i can help
you further.

--jerry