Walt Mankowski on Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:56:48 -0400

[tex@engsoc.org: Re: YAPC::Canada - Ottawa - May 14, 15 and 16]

Is anyone planning on going to this?  Unless I suddenly find a job in
the next week or so I'm thinking I might just drive up.

BTW I *think* the training class might be $250 Canadian, since Clayton
didn't change it between the two emails he sent.  If I get some
clarification I'll forward it.  Note that the Canadian dollar is worth
about 70 US cents these days.

Walt

----- Forwarded message from "Clayton L. Scott" <tex@engsoc.org> -----

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:05:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Clayton L. Scott" <tex@engsoc.org>
To: yapc@ypac.ca
Subject: Re: YAPC::Canada - Ottawa - May 14, 15 and 16

Apologies for the second mailing. I have included the prices in the US
Dollar amount  rather than Canadian Dollars in this version.

Thanks,
Clayton Scott, YAPC::Canada

Dear Perl Monger President,

This mailing is targeted to PM groups in the North Eastern United States
within a 10 hour drive of Ottawa. If I have mis-calculated the distance
I apologise in advance.

I'm writing to remind you about YAPC::Canada coming up in May 14, 15 and
16.
Could you please foward this announcement to your PM group list?

Please consider this a belated invitation to YAPC::Canada. Due to the
lateness of
this invitation I understand if you can't make it this year but
please start preparing to attend next year as we'll be in the same
location.

Talk and Registration info is below.

Thanks,
Clayton Scott

YAPC::Canada (Yet Another Perl Conference) is a low-cost 1 1/2 day
conference run by volunteers with its roots in the Perl Mongers
groups.  YAPC::Canada features two speaker streams and an optional
day of pre-conference training.

All the conference details are online. You can register yourself
at anytime on the site

      http://www.yapc.ca/
      help@yapc.ca

DATES

      Training - May 14 (optional)
      Tutorials - May 15 - 9am - 12noon

      Conference
         Keynote - May 15 - 1pm
         Presentations - May 15 - 2pm - 5:30pm
			 May 16 - 9am - 5:30pm

KEYNOTE PRESENTER

      Dick Hardt - Founder and CTO of ActiveState.

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE

      Cost - $52.50 USD / $31.50 USD for students
             (payment details: http://yapc.ca/finances.html)
      Meals - Dinner on Thursday and lunch BBQ on Friday
      Size - We have space for 100 people
      Location - Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario
      Proceedings - supplied on CD (ISBN 0-9733033-0-1)

      Help and info - email help@yapc.ca

TRAINING

      Peter Scott - a professional trainer and author of Perl
      Debugged - will be delivering a 1 day hands on training
      course Wednesday May 14 at a cost of $250.

      Object Oriented Perl
            visit http://www.psdt.com/services/oo_perl.html
            for course details and registration info.

FREE TUTORIALS

     Attendees to these tutorials do not need to be
     registered in the conference. Perhaps your coworkers
     or friends would benefit from them? Pass the word along!

     YAPT - Yet Another Perl Tutorial
            given by Mick Villeneuve
            An introduction to Perl for those who have never
            programmed in Perl before.

     Introduction to Regular Expressions
            given by Steve Jenkins
            Skills development for those who have programmed
            a little bit in Perl.

     Both tutorials run from 9am - 12 noon on Thursday May 15.

PRESENTATIONS

Beginner / Intermediate stream
  Thursday Afternoon
     - Using the Perl Debugger for Fun and Profit
     - Ten Easy Mistakes with XML and Perl
     - Tips for Learning XSLT

  Friday
     - Variations on a Theme: "Repeated Code Is a Mistake"
     - Object Oriented Perl
     - 20 minutes, 40 programs, 80 lines of code
     - Date and Times in Perl
     - Automatic Generation of Time-lapse Animations
     - Making labels using Perl and PDF

Intermediate / Advanced stream

  Thursday Afternoon
     - Using Inline
     - Learning and Using DocBook
     - Using Log4perl
  Friday
     - Perl Style Guides for Large Projects
     - Design and Implementation of an efficient event loop in pure Perl
     - OpenThought and OpenPlugin
     - Exploring Perl Shells
     - Using Safe
     - Perl->pig(lipstick)
     - Perl 5.8 upgrade notes

You may attend talks in either stream during the conference.

----- End forwarded message -----
-