Walt Mankowski on 23 Sep 2004 03:50:23 -0000

YAPC and Meeting news

The sites for the two major YAPCs in 2005 were announced over the past
few days.  YAPC::NA will be held June 22-25 at the University of
Toronto.  I spent a long weekend in Toronto before this year's YAPC in
Buffalo, and my hotel was right on the edge of the UT campus.  It's a
great location, with lots of great shops and restaurants within
walking distance.

YAPC::Europe will be held in Braga, Portugal.  I haven't seen any
dates for that yet.

I'm thinking it's been too long since we've had a meeting.  Does
anyone want to get together for dinner Monday night?  I'm open to
suggestions for locations.  If no one feels decisive, then I'll pick
some place with good beer and/or good Chinese food.  Don't say I
didn't warn you.

And it's really been far too long since we've had a tech meeting.
Since no one has volunteered to give a talk, and since we've had a lot
of new faces recently, I'm thinking we might break the ice with a
night of lightning talks.  Lightning talks are short 5-minute talks on
just about any Perl topic you like.  Maybe we can even get Mark to
bring in the gong. :)

Looking at my calendar, I think October 18 might be a good night.  3
1/2 weeks ought to be plenty of time to put together a 5 minute talk.
Send me an email if you're interested in giving a talk so I can put
together a schedule.

Walt