R. Geoffrey Avery on 27 Jul 2006 04:28:22 -0000

Re: Thursday July 27: Field trip to Camden River Sharks and discuss a bid for YAPC::Philadelphia 2007

At 02:27 PM 7/26/2006, Walt Mankowski wrote:
On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 12:42:33PM -0400, Hans Dieter Pearcey wrote:
> Since both Mark and Walt are people who would probably end up helping
> organize and/or run YAPC if we hosted it, does it make sense to wait
> until they can make come to have the tour?

Probably, but unfortunately the deadline is August 1, which doesn't
leave much time.

We can plan another trip for the middle of August and if the larger group has a problem we can quietly pull our bid if needed. But a larger crowd tomorrow would be nice.

The important things to learn on the tour is if the conference rooms are going to work for us as most of the features we need are available.

Questions that will need to be answered before next Tuesday if we do submit a proposal include:

Who wants to have their named attached to the proposal? We will pick up more people later and don't have to pick a leader yet, but the bid does need to have a few names attached along with a short claim as to why these people can be trusted to run YAPC and not embarrass themselves or TPF. If you could send me a few lines of for a biography I can put it in the proposal.

What dates to pick? I like Sunday July 1 - Tuesday July 3, but other options are available. One other strange choice would be to hold it the week before OSCON so our international guests can go to both on one trip to the US. Mark, you are in Portland, could you check with Nat or Vee and see if they have picked their dates for OSCON 2007?

Does anyone have a wiki set up where we can build the proposal?

I won't be able to check this email address on Thursday from work so if you need to get to me please send email to:
lightning_2006 AT JustAnotherPerlHacker.org
which I can check. If you don't have my cell phone number you can send email to me or ask Walt. If you want to come for just the game that works too. But let me know so we wait for you.

Plan on meeting at 5:15 on the north side of the Campus Center http://maps.rutgers.edu/maps/default.aspx?campus=3?389,243. I don't know where we will meet our guide yet but I will know by then.

- Geoff