Laura Kolker on 5 Feb 2008 06:30:22 -0800

Re: question for all you freelancers

  • From: "Laura Kolker" <laura.kolker@gmail.com>
  • To: phl@lists.pm.org
  • Subject: Re: question for all you freelancers
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:30:05 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=TPtjAiJKGxb4O3sherU4IC/Vdx6o5oRgLxXcKFjvOKU=; b=SfHeXbgtA0ccYfRkj83CPSeOLfotUtYJjRnq3VshPoCbYNYrlPNPxoQgSRm+IPDtlQWChuBu/R1hJGNZzxeE2NAioFoHVeuEbSI0Wwk0ig/476Yq96GBS6HkS+XhlPrEvCc2gpq11RWRuT9+LwwU5VqLDIz0KMqW53kfsqq+jMw=
  • Sender: owner-phl@lists.pm.org

Just a couple thoughts:
* I usually use the following question to determine whether I charge
for it or not: Would I have done this if it wasn't for the job? If no,
then charge for it.
* I like to use the word Support to refer to time spent answering questions.
* flat rate vs. hourly - I don't have a preference, but I've mostly
used hourly as that seems to be how my clients like it. Robert Haas'
point about being penalized for good work is valid, but I look at it
more like: doing good-speedy (even hourly) work encourages repeat
business.
* Justin's list technique is something I use as well, and I agree that
it is useful for many reasons, including helping yourself do estimates
in the future.
* Your client's being a tad unreasonable. This happens sometimes. I
agree with Robert: Just politely explain how you understood the
agreement to be, and apologize for the misunderstanding (even when
it's totally their fault. I know: Annoying! Email's easier - less
acting involved). I've found asking polite questions in these
circumstances can also help the client contextualize better. For
example: I'm sorry, my understanding was that we had agreed to do XYZ
(redo the project 5 times, spend 40% on testing, etc.), what did you
think we had agreed to (or if you're in the middle of it: How would
you like to proceed)? During the process of answering, the client will
often have the opportunity to cool down, realize you're right, think
of something useful to resolve the problem, etc. Also, during
negotiations and project communications, I tend to say things like:
"Ok, I'm hearing you want to do XYZ (redo the project 5 times, spend
40% on testing, etc.), is that correct?

Good luck!
Laura

-