Walt Mankowski on 4 Apr 2009 19:54:41 -0700

Fwd: Phi.pm + Open Source Bridge

Below is information about a new open source conference being held in
Portland, OR June 17-19.  Note that this is the week before YAPC, so
you can do both if you really want to. :)

The deadline for submitting a talk proposal is April 10, so you've
still got a little time if you'd like to get involved.

I have a free pass to the conference that I can raffle off at a future
meeting.  Let me know if you're interested.  Otherwise you can
register for a discounted price of $150.  See the details below.

Walt

----- Forwarded message from Reid Beels <reid@opensourcebridge.org> -----

Open Source Bridge
http://opensourcebridge.org

Open Source Bridge is a new conference for developers working with open
source technologies. It will take place June 17-19 in Portland, OR, with
five tracks connecting people across projects, languages and experience to
explore how we do our work and why we participate in open source. The
conference structure is designed to provide developers with an opportunity
to learn from people they might not connect with at other events.

Open Source Bridge is run entirely by volunteers who believe in the need
for an open source conference that focuses on the culture of being an open
source citizen, regardless of where in the stack you choose to code. All
proceeds from conference registration and sponsorship go directly to the
costs of the conference.

Our sessions and events will share in-depth knowledge about using,
creating and contributing to open source as citizens of a greater
community. You?ll find relevant information whether you write web apps for
the cloud, tinker with operating system internals, create hardware, run a
startup, or blog about technology.

We're still seeking proposals ? and just extended the deadline to April
10th ? so submit yours before time runs out.

Some examples of our proposals so far: Brian Aker on Drizzle, a reboot of
MySQL designed ?for the cloud?; Linux Kernel hacker Greg K-H about how
Linux manages development; Ward Cunningham, inventor of the wiki, about
what?s next in collaboration; Amber Case, an anthropologist living in both
the physical and virtual worlds, about Cyborg Citizenship. (You can view
all current proposals at http://opensourcebridge.org/proposals/)

In addition to regular conference sessions, we will hold an unconference
day for free-form sessions, and host a 24-hour dedicated ?hacker lounge? at
the top of the Portland Hilton. In addition to hosting the hacker lounge,
the Hilton has offered Open Source Bridge attendees steeply discounted room
rates, starting at $139/night.

The city of Portland is a great place to visit. It has a thriving
technical community, a love of all things open source and offers many
attractions for visiting geeks, including Powell?s technical books, dozens
of local brewpubs, and large greenspaces like Forest Park?all accessible by
mass transit.

Visit http://opensourcebridge.org/ to learn more about the conference, see
our session proposals, and register to attend.

Thanks!

PS: Interested in taking advantage of the user group discount code that
will allow user group members to register for $150? Enter ?osb4228? when
you register to receive the discount.