Eric Roode on 28 May 2009 07:12:49 -0700

Secure connection to SQL Server from Perl DBI

  • From: Eric Roode <eric.roode.phlpm@gmail.com>
  • To: phl@lists.pm.org
  • Subject: Secure connection to SQL Server from Perl DBI
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:12:26 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=2gVhg3TxijMQj/cJX1B4RJPhW7ejqeC/t9WHE4pf05Q=; b=BTPZDaFM/oSEDRrw6KqVkdCxYTKgBwBxKVlGfasJFWa07/OtZXEMBJ1kdLkJd1As59 Udi4x4XoYi1xUiwZFjaZpIhbuECHrEsJK0Y4Awl1TkCliJLun1e8rvzacOU/CloDKFOX 91mhBxfiyvFVC5PCRXObasK0zlDbivYpGiBWE=
  • Sender: owner-phl@lists.pm.org

Hi all,

    I need to connect to a secure SQL Server database using Perl DBI.
I need to find a way to authenticate the user securely (without fear
of eavesdropping, and without storing passwords on the client side).
I'm using SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008, and Perl 5.10 on XP.

    SQL Server supports encrypted connections via something called the
"SQL Server Native Access Client API", but I cannot tell whether this
is supported by any DBD driver, or how to use it if it is.

    I am reluctant to use the DBD::ODBC driver with SQL Server
authentication, because ODBC transmits user IDs and passwords in
cleartext.

    I can't use the DBD::ODBC driver with Windows authentication
(trusted connection), because the server is not on any Active
Directory domain that is accessible from the client's network.

    How can I secure my connections to the database? Thanks.

-- Eric
-