John Summers on 30 Sep 2010 19:15:41 -0700

Re: hamming encoded

An XOR of two strings yields the number of differences between them. Such measures enable error checking. Hamming distances (Hamming was at Bell Labs) may make Hamming encoding possible. Quick and efficient error checking is offered by XORs doing the work.

On Sep 30, 2010, at 7:59 PM, Peter Bachman wrote:

> So weirdly enough the phrase "hamming encoded" has shown up in three
> different separate contexts this week, and I had never heard of it before.
>
> -pb
>
> -
> **Majordomo list services provided by PANIX <URL:http://www.panix.com>**

john@grownspace.net