Eric Roode on 16 Nov 2011 09:26:21 -0800

[Philadelphia-pm] Persistent data directory

Hi all,

I'm writing a new module, and it needs to store some data persistently across invocations (basically a cache).  It is irrelevant whether this cache is per-user or system-wide.

Is there any sort of reasonably standard place to store such data?  This will be run on Windows, for what it's worth, but it'd be good to know what locations are standard practice on other platforms, too.  Is there any sort of existing module that encapsulates this, so I won't have to think about it (like how File::Temp provides for temporary data storage)?  I couldn't find any.

Thanks,
-- Eric