Kurt Starsinic on 4 Jan 2013 09:40:21 -0800

[Philadelphia-pm] Interesting ENIAC event coming up

Hi all,

We're hosting a free event at the University of Pennsylvania, home of the original ENIAC computer. Composers Maurice Wright and James Primosch will introduce selected videos drawn from the Video Archive of the Electroacoustic Music (curated by Eric Chasalow, whose The Shattering Bliss of Altitude will be premiered in our Third Space mini-festival this spring).

We'll also have wine, food, and conversation with guest
Bill Mauchly, whose father John Mauchly (together with
J. Prosper Eckert) designed ENIAC, the first general purpose electronic digital computer.

Join us to hear more about the events leading up thecreation of ENIAC, anecdotes about computers and electronic music back in the day (both Eckert and John Mauchly were musicians), Bill Mauchly's experiences with the development of sampling instruments and MIDI, and much more!

Save the date: Friday, February 15 at 7:30 PM, in Rose Recital Hall on the University of Pennsylvania campus.

That's all I know. Check the website and/or subscribe to their email list for details to come. When I hear more, I'll post here.

- Kurt