Randall Sindlinger on 9 Aug 2016 13:42:04 -0700

Re: [Philadelphia-pm] technical night?

Hey folks,

Just wanted to confirm we're still "all systems go" for tonight.

Thx,
-Randall

On Monday, July 25, 2016, Mark Gardner <mjg@phoenixtrap.com> wrote:
I’m tentatively in. Have to see what the Tuesday night class that starts tomorrow will look like and if I can give it a miss then.

I enjoyed Walt’s COBOL talk at YAPC, and I’m intrigued about additional material.

On July 25, 2016 at 3:12:27 PM, Walt Mankowski (waltman@pobox.com) wrote:

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 01:26:23PM -0400, Brian Duggan wrote:
> Great, sounds like a quorum!
>
> Let's make it official:
>
> Tuesday, August 9th, 6pm

That's the same night as PLUG North, but I suppose I could miss it
next month.

> PromptWorks
> 1211 Chestnut St, Suite 400
> (4th floor)

Thanks for volunteering a place to meet!

> Topic/presenter is still TBD.

I've got 2 potential talks I could do. One is on what's new in Perl 5
since roughly 5.10. It's basically a summary of a series of excellent
talks that rjbs gave every year at yapc while he was pumpking. I gave
it last year at Fosscon to an audience of about 5 people, and to a
larger audience at PLUG Central in April.

The other talk is called "Secrets of the Dead: What Modern Programmers
Can Learn from COBOL". I gave it as a 20 minute talk at this year's
yapc, but it ended up being a bit too long. I'll be giving it again
as a 50 minute talk at this year's Fosscon on August 20, and it might
be nice to have a chance to practice the new parts.

Walt