I. S. Clavner on Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:26:44 -0500 (EST)

OK, I've got a question!

Hello all:

The recent comments about the lack of activity on the Linux
list has gotten me thinking. Does anyone know (off the top
of their head) the answer to this SCSI question:

Situation: If a SCSI device is turned off at the time the
computer is booted, the SCSI portion of the kernel code will
not discover it and will not create the appropriate device
node in the /dev directory.

Problem: I had heard that using module loaded drivers for
SCSI will allow me to stop and re-start the SCSI driver,
effectively forcing a re-discovery with each modlule load.
But I don't have time to do this right now.

Solution: Is there a way to discover SCSI devices after boot
time using a kernel loaded SCSI driver?

Aside: SVR4 does this with the 'mktable' command, and AIX
has its own command 'cfgmgr.'

Well, hope I have broken the boredom!

Regards: Ira.