David L. Martin on Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:25:06 -0500 (EST)

Re: Programming CTS/RTS on serial ports directly

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Ben Dugan wrote:
> I'm trying to use the CTS/RTS signals to control external hardware
> (but not as handshaking lines in the usual sense).
>
> Since they weren't intended to be used that way, I'm getting the
> feeling there's no way to directly interface with them through the GNU
> C library.  In any case, I haven't been able to find references to
> CTS/RTS, except for ways to enable CTS/RTS handshaking.  That
> handshaking is then handled at a lower level, but I can't see how I
> can get at the signals themselves.
>
> Any tips (even where to look for more info) would be very helpful; thanks.

I believe you want ioctl().

Take a look at:
	man ioctl
	less /usr/include/ioctl-types.h
	less /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h

Also look at UPS-HOWTO for examples.

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

100 buckets of bits on the bus, 100 buckets of bits, Take one down,
short it to ground, FF buckets of bits on the bus.