Michael Leone on Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:27:30 -0500 (EST)

IP Forwarding

Hello all, need a bit of advice about something.

In the NET-3 HOW-TO, it mentions this:

> An example that might be useful is as follows:
>
>               root# ipfwadm -I -a accept -D 0/0 telnet -r 2323
>
>  This example will cause any connection attempts to port telnet (23) on
>  any host to be redirected to port 2323 on this host. If you run a
>  service on that port, you could forward telnet connections, log them
>  or do whatever fits your need.

Here's my situation: I set up ssh on my Linux server here at work. Using
the client from DataFellows, I'm able to securely access my Linux box thru
the Internet (a VPN, IOW). But what I need to do is to have Linux forward
over to my *other* Unix host here on the LAN - transparently to the user,
if possible.

By transparently, I mean that the user connects to the Linux server using
ssh; they start up their telnet program that's installed and configured on
the client (Reflection in this case). What I want the user to see is the
login prompt from host #2, and *not* host #1 (Linux), if possible. (Linux
should just pass everything over the LAN to host #2. Don't want the
end-user to realize that Linux is involved at all - to them, it should look
like they just telnetted directly into host#2 )

(I need them to use Reflection as a telnet client - company standards and
such)

Anybody know if this is possible? Pointers appreciated.
(I realize I probably didn't explain this properly. Be happy to explain in
more detail in private email, if you'd like).