Roger Scudder on Sun, 20 Dec 1998 02:47:01 -0500 (EST)

Re: ppp

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, sgotg wrote:

> i am trying to make a ppp module from instructions from the ppp howto.
> when i type make config the response is no rule to make target.  are
> there better instructions to make a module or am i missing something
> else.

You must have the kernel source installed. The default location
for the source is '/usr/src/linux'.  Actually 'linux' is usually
a symbolic link pointing to a directory named something like
'linux-2.0.36'.  At any rate try changing to '/usr/src/linux' and
see if you have the kernel source code tree.  You should see
these directories:

Documentation/
arch/
drivers/
extra/
fs/

and so on...

This is the directory you need to be in when you start make.  But
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED you need to be sure that your kernel supports
modules.  If your not sure, you might as well build a new kernel
and configure in module support and build all the modules you want
to use.  I suggest you strongly consider doing this anyway.  It may
save you a lot of trouble in the long run.  There are several items
that must also be compiled into the kernel before you can use ppp.
For instance TCP/IP and network device support.   Configuring ppp is,
in itself, a pain in the _ .  If you have any doubts at all that your
kernel is configured for internet support, save yourself a frustrating
experience and build a new kernel.

That said...

If you are sure your kernel supports modules and you are dead set on
only building a ppp module here's how...

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig  # much nicer to use than make config
cursor down to network device support and hit 'Enter'
cursor down to 'ppp (point-to-point)' and press 'M'
press 'Esc' twice and answer yes to save the config

and run the following rules

make dep
make clean
make modules

This will build all the modules that have an 'M' in the configuration
which takes a few minutes, but is a lot easier than removing all
the other M's from the config.  After you copy the ppp module from
'/usr/src/linux/modules' to '/lib/modules/[kernel version]' you
can type make clean again to delete all the useless modules and free
up some disk space.

After moving the module to '/lib/modules/[version]' you can do a
depmod -a to rebuild the modules dependencies file.

At this point you can return to the PPP-HOWTO and start configuring
the ppp-on, ppp-off, and ppp-on-dialer scripts as well as any other
files you may need to get ppp working.

Good luck, yell if you have any more questions.

Roger