Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:43:24 -0500 (EST)

Re: New User trying to get up and running

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, C. J. Martoff wrote:

> One thing I don't like about Red Hat is that it seems to have a lot of
> what old FORTRAN programmers like me call "dead code"- multiple
> packages/programs/commands to do the same thing, some included for
> "backward compatibility".  Lots of duplicate database files etc., some of
> which apparently are not used by the system, so when you change them
> nothing happens.
>
> For example, while getting my TCP-IP networking set up, I concluded that
> the GUI tool they include actually doesn't do anything, and if you want to
> get your gateway IP etc. set right you have to hand-hack the text files
> used by inetd, etc.

My TCP/IP (Red Hat 5.1) was setup using ipconfig, and I haven't had any
problems with it.  I'm using a PPP account and specified the default
gateway in the appropriate place in ipconfig.

Michael W. Ryan               | OTAKON Webmaster
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)