Juergen Fiedler on Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:15:57 -0500 (EST)

Mail Setup

Hello,

Another one of those typical newbie questions...  I have been using
Netscape Communicator for my mail and news up till now, but recently it
seems less and less stable and besides, I wanted to learn how to do
"real" mail anyway.  So the question is;

Where do I start?

The mail HOWTO seems to indicate that I should pick anything but
sendmail.  But, then again, I figure, that sendmail is, at least, a
known quantity.  The documentation for other mail daemons seems to be
incomplete, at best. I tried to configure qmail, but I couldn't even
figure out which domain name to give to configure-fast.  I have my own
bogus domain and have to retrieve the mail from an external server.

If anyone could give me some pointers about where to start I would be
very grateful.

Juergen