Adam Turoff on Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:40:02 -0500 (EST)

Re: Microsoft toolset vs. ???

Eugene writes:
> Below is an email I got.
> Do people on this list have a good answer?
>

> >The following is a list of the Microsoft technologies that we are using:
> >
> >Source Control Technology  = Visual Source Safe

CVS.  Web-based front ends (Bonsai/Tinderbox) exist.

> >Project Replication and Deployment Technology = Content Replication Server

rdist?  mirror?

> >Scripting Technology = VBScript

perl.  python.  tcl/tk.  Take your pick.

> >Server Object Technology = ASP/Visual Basic DLLs
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What exactly is this?  Marketroidspeak?  MS FudSpeak?

PHP might be a reasonable analog to ASP here.  You might want to look
at a more integral perl/python/tcl solution instead of adding PHP into the mix.

> >Relational Database Technology = SQL Server 7

MySQL is pretty popular.  Other engines exist (PostgreSQL, mSQL, etc.).

> >One of the most impressive features of these tools are their integration
> >(i.e.:  I have a source code browser window embedded in my Visual Basic
> >development environment).

The integration will be lost, unless you consider vi/emacs to be your
integration environment.  :-)  Realistically speaking, it's not loosing
much.  perl/python do not _need_ an IDE to get real work done.

> >What toolsets could be assembled completely from non-Microsoft software that
> >could compete with the feature set, cost,  and integration of these tools?

Cost?  All Open Source.  All free.  Most/All available on your favorite
Linux distribution.

Z.