Vik Bajaj on Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:25:35 -0500 (EST)

Yet Another Philadelphia Linux List

FYI, here is an annoucement I just posted to various newsgroups regarding our
UnPLUG mailing list.  It's intended to supplement other local resources, like
newsgroups and this list, with a slightly different focus;  we also need a list
for the upcoming few seminars we will be holding (they will be open to the
public).  In any case, feel free to join if it appeals to you.

Truly,

Vik

From: vbajaj@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (vik bajaj)
Newsgroups: upenn.linux,upenn.unix,upenn.super-users
Date: 31 Jan 1999 05:10:25 GMT

Hello,

I am pleased to announce the creation of a new mailing list for use
by members of the greater Philadelphia community interested in
Linux and Unix issues that overlap with core Linux themes.
To subscribe to the list, send mail to
unplug-list-subscribe@security.unplug.org (please forgive the DNS
latency for the next few days).

The list is not intended to replace upenn.linux, but rather
to provide a more appropriate forum for dialogue that lends
itself better to another format.  A mailing list will also
allow the involvement of a broader audience than University
students alone in the resolution of technical issues.  Finally,
the list will serve an essential purpose in the upcoming UnPLUG
install-a-thon and technical seminar series (look for an announcement
within the next week).  Both the install-a-thon and seminar series
will be open to all members of the public regardless of affiliation,
with a few specific exceptions.

The format will be informal.  Suggested topics for the list (but by
no means all-inclusive), based on the expertise of the list moderators
and facilitators, are as follows:

        Administration/Programming
                - high level end-user support
                - esoteric administration issues
                - performance enhancement and optimization
                - hardware compatibility
                - scientific computing (particularly in computational
                  physics and structural biology/biophysics)
                - applications development and programming environment
                - discussions of unix internals at all levels of
                  experience

          Security
                - end-user support
                - network security:  network firewalling, VPN
                                     implementation, IPSEC
                - host security:  secure programming, authorization;
                                  secure IPC strategies
                - full-disclosure discussions of implementation
                  vulnerabilities.

        Experimentation/Miscellaneous
                - amateur radio digital networks
                - IPv6 deployment and UnPLUG participation in 6BONE
                - open source, advocacy and public service
                - experimental modes

I have no idea what the activity level of this list will be;  it may be
unused or heavily used according to the subscribers' needs. The list is
unmoderated, but subscriptions are generally moderated to prevent abuse.

The University of Pennsylvania Linux Users' Group is a loosely organized
grouping of individuals working with Linux.  UnPLUG is not affiliated
with any University agency, nor does it receive any funding.

The following individuals have contributed _greatly_ in time and effort
to past UnPLUG activities or planning: Roman Gollent, Prof. Jack Siler,
John Parker, and Blake Mills.  I apologize if I've left anyone out.

--Vik