Kyle Burton on Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:43:09 -0500 (EST)

Re: PCMCIA - IRQ Assignments

> 	Thanks for the great help with my PPP questions. I however now
> have a new question for the list.  When booting my system I have both my
> PCMCIA cards installed (Modem and Ethernet).  Both cards are recognized
> with no problem.  The first card will initalize and use IRQ 3 then the
> second card will then be initalized and also try to use IRQ 3.  This of
> course will make the second card unavailable.  Can I force the cards to
> use a particular IRQ and if yes any suggestions as to which IRQ numbers I
> should look at first.

I'm using redhat on a Dell Inspirion 7000.  I've got both a 33.6k PCMCIA
modem, and a 3com 10/100 Vortex PCMCIA NIC (3CCFE575).

My NIC is using:    IO 0x200 IRQ 9
My Modem is using:  IO 0x2f8 IRQ 3

They are both handled by the pcmcia services.  Make sure you have the
latest pcmcia services (I've got 3.0.9, you can check by running
cardctl -V).  Also, have a look at:

  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Which you can get to off of the Laptops link from the Hardware page
on Linux.org.  Have a look at that page, it lists stuff for countless
laptops.