LeRoy D. Cressy on Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:02:31 -0500 (EST)

Re: Compiling GCC-2.7.2 on a P2-266

Timothy R. Krell wrote:

> I am running gcc 2.7.2.3, however, in trying to compile my QT-1.42 for
> LICQ, I find that I get g++: command not found errors when trying to
> compile.  It is the opinion of a few people that my gcc is somehow
> messed up, and that I should recompile it.  I need the QT-1.42 to
> install so I can install LICQ on my system.
>
> "LeRoy D. Cressy" wrote:
> >
> > Timothy R. Krell wrote:
> > >
> > > When I tried to do a ./configure on gcc-2.7.2, I get the
> > > following error:
> > >
> > > bash# ./configure
> > > This appears to be a i686-unknown-linux system.
> > > Invalid configuration 'i686-unknown-linux': machine 'i686-unknown' not
> > > recognized
> > >
> > > Is there a way I can fool the gcc into compiling on my P2-266 machine?
> > > If at all possible, I'd rather not de-optimize my 2.2.3 kernel for P2
> > > systems.  Are there any other options to gettting this working?  If you
> > > have any ideas, please email me at the addy listed in my sig.  Thanks
> > > again.

Have you checked the make file?

OVERALL OPTIONS
       -x language
              Specify  explicitly  the language for the following
              input files (rather than choosing a  default  based
              on  the file name suffix) .  This option applies to
              all following input files until the next  `-x'  op­
              tion.    Possible   values  of  language  are  `c',
              `objective-c',  `c-header',  `c++',   `cpp-output',
              `assembler', and `assembler-with-cpp'.

This is from the man page describing the declaration of the language to
use when compiling a file.  Make the references if the Makefile from g++
to gcc with -x and the language.

Also it is a good to read the documentation for gcc.
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037