rsuchowi on Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:55:25 -0500 (EST)

Re: two machines, one ethernet drop

run another cable (:

ok, just kidding...  I am going to make an assumption that your hub is uplinked
another hub somewhere.  If this is the case, does the boca hub have an uplink
port?
If so, then you need to make sure that the drop that you have is pluggged in the
uplink
port and that the uplink port is saying that it is uplinked.  If the boca hub
DOES NOT
have an uplink port then you need a cross over.  For a more detailed explanation

you can call me @ 215 735 7200 (my office) and ask for bob ski.

"Steven J. Pulito" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here's my situation: I now have two machines, one linux and one windows, a
> boca 8 port concentrator, and ONE Ethernet drop. In my current setup I take
> the drop into the boca and then have two lines coming out.  The problem is
> that when the two machines are talking to each other, neither can reach the
> outside network, and also the linux box seems to disappear to the outside
> world every once and a while.  I think this is due to collisions.
>
> What should I do?  Both machines have their own IP addresses so I don't
> think IP masquerading is the right way to go.  I'd be willing to buy another
> nic if there was some way that maybe the linux box would have to cards.
> Whereas one would connect to the outside network, and the other would
> connect to the boca which would then connect to any other machines ....
> basically I just need to be pointed towards the right documentation.  I was
> reading the IP masquerading how-to but that seems to be the solution for
> when you can't get enough IP addresses, which isn't my problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> --

Robert Suchowierski, Jr.