John McKee on Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:01:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: bad cd or glint broken?

I experienced the same thing with my CD which was included with "Mastering Linux" published by
Sybex.  This, also, was after upgrading to the latest rpm version after upgrading kernel to 2.0.36.
and applying the fixes as recommended in the 5.1 errata.  I also, upgraded Samba twice, and rpm did
not remove the previous versions.  I was told by a techie, based on some strace results while trying
to remove Samba, that my rpm database was most likely corrupt.  I would get a "Segmentation fault
(core dumped)" error when I tried to remove any of the three versions of Samba.  Yesterday, I
reinstalled 5.1 from scratch.  No big deal.  Took about 2 hours including reinstalling KDE and WP8.

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 07:34:36 -0500, you wrote:

>When I tell glint to scan available packages, it gets about 3/4 of the way
>through then the progress bar stops. The xterm says
>
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "/var/tmp/python-root/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line
>752, in
>  __call__
>    return apply(self.func, args)
>  File "./glint.py", line 62, in available
>    availablePackageSet = PackagePathSet(currentPackagePath)
>  File "./packageset.py", line 157, in __init__
>    self.setPath(path)
>  File "./packageset.py", line 148, in setPath
>    self.addPackage(package)
>  File "./packageset.py", line 40, in addPackage
>    self.packages[package.getLabel()] = package
>  File "./package.py", line 138, in getLabel
>    return (self.getName() + ":" + self.getVersion() + ":" +
>  File "./package.py", line 116, in getName
>    return self.h[rpm.RPMTAG_NAME]
>AttributeError: h
>
>Does this look like a defective CD, or is there some misconfiguration with
>glint? This is a stock RH5.1 installation, I have not monkeyed with any
>libraries. The CD is from  a book, not RedHat directly; if it were corrupt,
>might it manifest itself this way? It mounts fine, of course, and the
>installation went smoothly (though I didn't install every package).
>
>TIA. JAS

John McKee
jmckee@voicenet.com