Kyle Burton on Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:13:14 -0400 (EDT)

Linux can read Macintosh formated Iomega ZIP disks...

I had a good experience with linux over the weekend and wanted to share.
I'm working on a website for someone, and they have some production art
from a printer they use.  The printer gave them (me) the production art
on a ZIP disk.

Problem #1 was that the ZIP disk was formatted for a Mac.

This was solved by compiling in mac partition reading, the mac file system
driver, and the ZIP disk stuff for my 2.2.5-ac1 kernel.  Once I rebooted
I was able to mount and read the ZIP disk!  This made me happy.

Problem #2 was that the production art was in EPSF (encapsulated post script
file) format.  I spent the better part of an afternoon trying to convert
these to jpegs for use on the web site.  I tried convert, xv, ee, gs, gv.
None of them worked to my satisfaction (none of them could really understand
the EPSF format enough to even display the file).  This made me very unhappy.
I knew I could do this by hand with StarOffice, but I had a hundred or so
files to convert.  Doing this by hand made me think I'd rather go do something
else.

By some dumb stroke of luck, I ran file(1) on hte epsf files.  file(1)
told me that there was a TIFF file embedded in the epsf file, where it
started and how far it went for.  I mistakenly wrote code to do the
extraction (I say mistakenly because a friend has since pointed out that
I could have juse used dd(1)) and went on my merry way.  I won't detail
how to do the extraction because I wrote a C program to do it for me,
and you should probably just use dd(1) instead.

I sincerely hope someone else scan profit from this.

happy trails,

mortis