Chuck Peters on Wed, 5 May 1999 05:02:02 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Looking for collaborator with Debian experience

I must say that these Debian people are fast at answering the mailing
list, inside of 5 minutes I got the following from Jason Gunthorpe
<jgg@ualberta.ca>

However one thing it doesn't do is mail me when an updated package
arrives.

apt-get -qq update
get the package listing with no output except for errors.
apt-get -qd upgrade
downloads the packages with output suitable for logging.

Chuck

 On Wed, 5 May 1999, Chuck Peters wrote:

> I would like to download the updated packages with a nightly cron job
and
> have it mail me if new pakages have arrived.  Does Debian have such a
> utilty package like Redhat's harvester?

Put

apt-get -qq update
apt-get -qd upgrade