Chris Fearnley on Tue, 18 May 1999 16:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Debian boot script question

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 08:52:43AM -0400, Kurt D. Starsinic wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     What's the proper way to disable a startup script in Debian?  E.g., I've
> installed the `ssh' package, and I don't want `sshd' to start up
> automatically, but I'd like to be able to type `/etc/init.d/ssh start' at any
> time.

I think the best way is to "mv /etc/rc2.d/S20ssh /etc/rc2.d/noS20ssh".
Since unless the file begins with S or K, it is ignored.  I don't like
deleting the link because you then can't lookup what the default Debian
configuration was set to.  In this way you can configure each run level
with precision.  Finally, the "no" prefix documents what you were
trying to do.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary