LeRoy D. Cressy on Mon, 24 May 1999 07:20:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: rh6.0 -- anyone downloaded a new kernel

Hi All,

It should not matter what distribution that you build the kernel on if
you follow the README file in the kernel source code.

start off with applying the patches
	gzip -cd patch* | patch -p0

then

	make menuconfig || make xconfig
	make dep
	make bzImage
	make modules
	make modules_install

finally copy your new kernel to where the boot kernels are located on
your system

cp arch/i386/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.3.3
I like the Debian method of symbolic links from the root directory to
the boot directory

ln -s /boot/bzImage-2.3.3 /vmlinuz

With symbolic linking there should be no reason to edit the
/etc/lilo.conf file.  Then run lilo to fix your mbr

It is a good idea to keep the old version on the system and have a
vmlinuz.old symlink in the root directory.

Have a good day :-)

John S. Kallal wrote:

> --

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037