tburba on Thu, 27 May 1999 16:50:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: !!!Re: [SLL] Stupid X-server question...

Thanks to all for your many responses, but they all seem incomplete. The
man pages and the How-tos are great, but they obviously are written by
folks that are defining the pieces -- not the steps. (Yes, I RTFMs) Its
sort of like trying to learn the English language from the dictionary.
Enough griping... Anyway, can anyone recommend the _complete_ steps for
_one_ of the X-term connectivity methods you'all wrote about --  when we
have the following default stuff set up:
     To be used for this example: two RedHat 5.2 boxes that run X
successfully on themselves, can easily telnet (character based) to each
other via TCPIP.
To not confuse client/server terminology with X client and X server
terminology here, I am gonna' call them:
     "MyBox" where I, as a human want to do the GUI stuff that I can
normally do locally at the:
     "ServerRoomBox" where I have to trudge through the rain to another
building and crawl into a refrigerated room to get to it.

I would like to start an X session on MyBox that will magically transport
me as though I was sitting in the frozen tundra and actually doing stuff at
the ServerRoomBox itself. I would want to be able to run anything (Xbased)
that I would be able to do locally with frozen fingers in the ServerRoom.

If there actually is a document that is clear enough to be step-by-step in
this regard please let me know.
     A great man once said, "The _really_ important unix stuff is only
taught by word of mouth..."
Thanks again in advance...

dan@gasboy.com on 05/17/99 04:09:53 PM