Andrew Libby on Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:52:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: little of topic but linux related

You can by all means get exposure to the technology, the
fundamentals of routing, and that sort of thing with a Linux base
router.  Unfortunately, the Linux router does not run Cisco's IOS.
Not that IOS is rocket science, but it's not Linux either.   Part
of the knowledge is networking protocols, but the other part is
how to make the IOS work in certain situations with certain
protocols. Keep your eye out, I've seen 2501s for as little as $700.

This brings up another issue though, routers don't exist in a vacuum,
and you can't really setup complex routing scenarios with one router.
Perhaps one 2500 and two Linux boxes would provide enough of a network
to do what's necessary. BTW, the Cisco press books are very good.
I maintain a 2500 for a small ISP.  The IOS Configuration Fundamentals
is always by my side when I'm working on their router.

Bear in mind that this is all opinion, your mileage may vary.

Andy