Tracy Nelson on Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:22:44 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] PPP problems with Debian

I had the exact same setup and the exact same problem.  I just fixed it, and
here's what I did (note that not all these steps may be necessary):

1) chmod o+x /etc/ppp    [Lets you read scripts in /etc/ppp]
2) chmod o+x /etc/ppp/peers [Ditto for /etc/ppp/peers]
3) chmod o+r /etc/ppp/peers/provider [Makes provider script readable by
anyone]
4) chmod o+x /etc/chatscripts
5) chmod o+r /etc/chatscripts/provider
6) added my username to adm, dip and dialout groups in /etc/groups [not sure
this was necessary]

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get TkDesk to stop prompting me
for a phone number (we have to use ten-digit dialing, and TkDesk gives me an
arith overflow when I specify the phone number!) and I'll be all set.

Now on to IP masquerading...and sendmail...and fetchmail...and Apache...then
maybe INN...

Cheers!
-- Tracy Nelson