Randolph Bentson on Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:52:45 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Re: [SLL] 24 port modem bank/T1 advice?

> We need a recommendation for connecting a T1 line to our Linux
> Comm Server.  Here's our setup: we have 700 stores that need to
> dial-in to our 800 number to modems to transfer data. Anyone have
> experience/recommendations for equipment that is Linux compatible
> (and available). TIA

You can get a device with a T1 connection and a 10baseT connection
which converts telephone traffic to Internet(Intranet) traffic.
Check out <http://www.cyclades.com/pr4kmo.html/> for details.  Once
you have Internet traffic, you can talk to the Linux server.

If you are trying to implement this function inside the Linux box,
and if some of the stores have analog modems (non-ISDN), you will
have to do lots of digital signal processing.  The special purpose
box avoids loading the server and is going to be easier to install.

Randolph Bentson