Michael C. Toren on Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:35:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] msdos volumes

> I know this is probably an impossibly newbie question, but here goes:

Nah :-)  Besides, all questions are welcome.

> I have three dos volumes on my Linux laptop: /dosc, /dosd, and /dose.
> Reading and writing to them as root is no problem. However, when I'm logged
> in as myself (not root), the volumes are read-only, which is a nuisance. I
> have tried as root to "chown" on an entire volume or directories within a
> volume so that I can access them from my normal account, but I get a
> "permission denied" error.

It's just a guess from looking at the mount(8) man page, but you could try
adding "uid=1000,gid=1000" to the options column of your /etc/fstab file.

Ofcourse, replace the UID and GID values above to match those of your user
account.  id(1) can help you there, if you don't know what they are, or
where to look in the passwd file.

HTH,

-mct