Michael W. Ryan on Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:27:27 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Can anyone tell me the password to UNSUBSCRIBE

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Iden Rosenthal wrote:

> Sorry to be a pest posting like this to the group but it is obnoxious to
> have a password to UN-subscribe. To subscribe okay, but to opt out should be
> easier.

I don't think you understand the purpose of the password.  Unlike most
other mailing list servers, Mailman is configurable via a web page.  This
means that without passwords, ANYONE could change a member's
configuration, even unsubscribe them.  The password is also used for
access to list archives and membership information when the list is
configured as being private.

In short, without the password requirement, anyone who could access the
web page could unsubscribe any member on the list.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP          | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)