LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] msdos volumes

Hi All,

One solution is to edit your /etc/fstab to read like:

/dev/hda3           /dosc           msdos   rw,exec,noauto   0       0

which will allow wine and the dosemu to execute and set the filesystem
as a read write filesystem.  Setting a dosfs as read only is the safe
way to go on a multi user system sinse a dos fs does not really use file
permissions to limit access to the system.  Thus anyone can access any
part of a dos file system and look at the unprotected files in the sub
directories.

Hugh Brock wrote:

> I know this is probably an impossibly newbie question, but here goes:
>
> I have three dos volumes on my Linux laptop: /dosc, /dosd, and /dose.
> Reading and writing to them as root is no problem. However, when I'm logged
> in as myself (not root), the volumes are read-only, which is a nuisance. I
> have tried as root to "chown" on an entire volume or directories within a
> volume so that I can access them from my normal account, but I get a
> "permission denied" error.
>
> Is there a solution to this problem, and if so could someone please email it
> to me? Thanks in advance.
>
> Also: I'm about to order a web server from one of the Linux-ready companies
> (e.g. Penguin). Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with any of these
> vendors?
>
> Thanks,
> --Hugh

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037