Chuck Peters on Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:11:38 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] starting pppd with an alternative profile

Hi,

We want to make it easy for our Windows users to setup ppp by having pppd
start if they dial into one of our modems or start lynx if they telent or
ssh in.  This way the Windows user will only need the phone number,
username and password like most ISP's, and it will be much simpler than
what we have now.

What we want is:
start ppp if they dial into the equinox SST, ie on ttyQ[1-16] or to 64
start ppp if they dial into our portmaster 2 named cthulhu
start lynx home.html if the file exists in their home directory.
or start lynx http://ccil.org/lynxhome.html

We are a freenet running an old custom built BBS style interface (Chester
County Interlink, ccil.org) that runs on BSDi.  We are working toward
moving all the machines over to Debian Linux and want to replace the old
Interlink with lynx.

We want the old users to still be able to dial in with their Bcom, hyper
terminal or whatever terminal program they have.  The default user will
have the following .bash_profile and be in group user so that we can
regulate time quota's with idled.

$ cat /etc/skel/.bash_profile
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.

if [ -x ~/start.htm ]; then
        echo -n ' Your Starting Page'; lynx start.htm
else
lynx http://ccil.org/lynxhome.html
fi

fortune
exit
umask 022

If the user wants to invoke pppd with their default setup they have to use
the lynx jump command and enter jppp with a script or manually.

I want the user to have the option of changing their default profile so
that pppd is started if they dial into a modem and they can still use the
lynx shell by telneting in.

So we want it to do something like the following.

if [ $(tty) = /dev/ttyQ* ]; then # This doesn't work right with the wildcard
        /usr/sbin/pppd -detach  # If it worked equinox SST users would be OK
elif [ The user is dialing in the portmaster 2 cthulhu.ccil.org using radius ]
then
        /usr/sbin/pppd -detach
elif [ -f ~/start.htm ]; then
	lynx start.htm
else
lynx http://ccil.org/lynxhome.html
fi

fortune
exit
umask 022

We plan on having the users test the new linux box and equinox terminal
server shortly and will setup the portmaster to be authenicated by the
linux box some time in the future.

Thanks,
Chuck