ray beckler on Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] A question about installing Linux

John Nolan wrote:

> > Sometimes booting into dos with a floppy and doing a fdisk /mbr then
> > booting back into linux with a floppy and reinstalling lilo works for me.
> > Of course that works great when lilo mysteriously disappears and windows
> > boots up without my permission.
>
> When LILO halts after just printing "LI", it means that it can't
> find the kernel on the disk.  This can happen if you install LILO
> with the wrong parameters, but it can also happen if for some reason
> the kernel is deleted or destroyed.  This can happen if you
> inadvertantly delete a partition, or the partition goes bad,
> or if you just delete the kernel file and then boot.
> LILO must won't boot at all without a kernel, it hangs after "LI".

> If you are running Linux off of a DOS partition, and you sometimes
> run DOS/Windows on that partition, then kernel file can be moved
> (say, during a defrag) then at next boot-up LILO will not be able
> to find it.  LILO does not use the filesystem to find the kernel,
> it remembers its physical location on the disk.  So even if
> the kernel file is still there on the DOS filesystem, if it
> is in a new physical location, LILO is hosed.
>
> (I'm pretty sure this is how it works.... someone please correct
> me if I'm wrong.)

If you've got more that one OS in your lilo.conf, you should be able boot
another OS if your kernel's been relocated.  I can always boot SCO or win or an
previous kernel if I forget to run lilo after a kernel rebuild.

I see the same symptoms when running win95 and it locks up and I reboot without
powering down.   All I get is "LI" and it never fails to scare the poop out of
me!

I don't doubt your explaination, it's just that there appears to be other
causes for this behavior.  Seems like DOS is the root of all evil here though,
doesn't it?

ray