Andy Bradley on Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:50:40 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] A question about installing Linux

Thanks for the replies.  I am loaning this box to a pregnant programmer friend of mine who is very recently without employment.  Raising children is more important than working in Manhattan so she quit.  She would rather have a Unix like box than Microsoft but needs both.  So I plan on giving her both. I have to complete the install by Saturday.

I think I have the problem solved (for now).

I answered most of the comments in this one reply.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

++While installing Linux as a dual boot, I create a boot disk, so that Linux
++doesn't screw up my MBR and I can boot both systems.

I was installing RH 5.0 which did not give me the opportunity to create a boot disk.  I realized that I had a RH 5.1 CD-ROM in the back of a book. So, recovered my MBR,  re-ran fdisk recreated the partitions and reinstalled RH.  I requested that it do a dual boot and also created the boot disk.  Upon rebooting it goes right into Win95 unless I use the boot floppy.  That is fine for now.  I will have to figure out how to dual boot with a menu at another time.

++I think this is the 1024 cylinder problem.
The Linux partition is with in the first 1024

++there's something in the HOWTO/mini/LILO about booting under these
++conditions...When LILO halts after just printing "LI", it means that it can't
++find the kernel on the disk.

I subsequently read some of the HOWTO on LILO and EZ DRIVE and there is a problem here but I do not yet understand how to fix it.  I think that is why it can not find the kernel.  Some funky things with both Win95 and Linux looking at the same partition table differently.

++If you are running Linux off of a DOS partition, and you sometimes
++run DOS/Windows on that partition, then kernel file can be moved
Linux is on a Linux native partition and it's a fresh install of Linux and also of Win95 with Visual C and MS Office.  Linux was installed and I attempted to boot into it right away.  There was no opportunity to move the kernel.

++To avoid some of these problem, I always install LILO in the root
++partition of Linux, not the boot sector.

I forget where I installed it, this time around.  Is there a way to check?

++I get the "LI" usually after a win95 blow up.  Just powering down and
++restarting usually does the trick.  I also got it just after installing
++LILO for the first time.

I tried rebooting several time after installing and it would hang up every time.  I had to restore my MBR to get the box to boot again.