Kyle Burton on Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:47:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Which modem to buy for Linux

Almost any external modem that uses a comm port will work with both
operating systems.  There are several advantages to using an external
modem:

- you can turn it off, this is a big advantage when things arent responding,
  and you need to use the phone, but want to see if your hung system comes
  back.
- you can look at the lights to see if data is transferring (even if your
  operating system is hung, or your monitor is off, or your screen saver
  is on)
- everything that talks to it does so over the comm port -- this is pretty
  universal, no special drivers, etc...
- external modems don't take up an extra irq, they use the one assigned
  to the comm port.

I'm sure there are more, but this was all I could think of right now.

The main disadvantage is space, and the fact that they cost about 10%-25%
more than internal modems.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.
But I repeat myself.
    -- Mark Twain