Vale_Kenny on Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:07:25 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Ok, attempt number two..+ CORRECTIONS

so, to clarify..(BTW, I just found about the mrproper bit, the hard way...)

make <whatever>config
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules-install
copy bzImage to /boot
edit lilo.conf
run lilo

> is this the correct order..
> make menuconfig

Good start, I prefer make xconfig, but its cosmetic.

> make mrproper
You just reset the kernel config to its default settings completely
undoing everything you've done in step one.

> make dep

Redo step one, or stop doing make mrproper.
You should also run make clean after make dep, just to be safe.

> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules-install
> copy bzImage to /boot
> edit lilo.conf
> run lilo
>
> is there something I'm missing?

Stop doing make mrproper, it kills your .config in /usr/src/linux.