Jason S. on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] RE: Multiple Apps On Servers

"Michael W. Ryan" wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Jason S. wrote:
>
> > At one point I was the admin of an E3000. 6CPU's, 2GB of memory. It was
> > running netscape enterprise server (ssl), apache (http), and Oracle 7.
> > It was a matter of hosting fee's, limited space and funding that made
> > one big box a better solution for us than several smaller ones. Despite
> > how it sounds, it performed rather well. There was only one incedent
> > that led to unscheduled downtime and that was due to a bad processor. It
> > ran for about 2 years. By that time the company had laid out a plan to
> > expand its site and I'd moved on.
>
> Not to argue against your point, but I think the 6 CPUs helped alot.

Absolutely. It was cheaper to get more cpu's than new boxes. That and
monitoring the IO subsystem was pretty essential. We were running
several raid arrays. Monitoring the system is pretty important no matter
how many boxes you have. Tuning counts for a lot... It doesnt help if
you get a cpu but most of your bottleneck is IO or network bandwidth.
Anyways, it was just an example.

--
J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.