Tracy Nelson on Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:07:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Connecting Linux to an Exchange server

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Brown <linux@cyberspacematrix.net>
Date: Sunday, August 01, 1999 17:22

>Ok I will look into it on my side, but if there is anything I can do to
>the exchange server v5.5 to help me along and still let MS Outlook on the
>NT machines to read what it needs to, I can do it.  I have a copy of the
>exchange server that I think I have to install to give it Macintosh
>capibilities, maybee that might help me out a bit.  If anyone has any
>ideas of what else I can do to access the "Public Folders" with my linux
>partition, let me know.  I am thinking of trying out VMware, but I do not
>know how confused the NT server will be with the same box running 2 os's.

I think the public folders are exported by Exchange, so you should be able
to access them through Samba.  Although I don't know what format they're
in, so it may be a moot point.

If you're willing to write some code, Outlook exposes most of its
functionality through OLE.  You could probably write a server to
extract this info on the NT side and convert it to whatever format
suited you best and then squirt it over a socket to a client on the
Linux side, where you could convert it into whatever you need.
Bit of work, but at least it's *interesting* work...