Kyle Burton on Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:25:28 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] PCMCIA problem

> Ok, some things I've learned in the past few hours.....
> under /etc/rc.d/rcX.d the X represents runlevels, and consequently orders of
> execution.
> under ./rcX.d, the files are names [S/K]Xalpha e.g.   "S80sendmail"
>      S or K = start or kill respectively  and following protocol, the number is
> the order of execution
> so for
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80sendmail
> you have
> in runlevel3, for start services, at position 80, run sendmail
>
> (apparently the numbering scheme is arbitrary, you could as easily used
> S8sendmail, or S8000sendmail, provided all required services were already
> started.  Think old BASIC numbering scheme 10, 20, 30 was only for purposes of
> convenience, it could have been 1, 2, 3, and so on)

Actually, the numbering scheme follows the old BASIC numbering for a few
reasons:

First, unless you leave room between numbers, you can't easily insert anything
between entries without renumbering (renaming) a bunch of stuff.

Second, I think the shell sorting via the '*' is lexographicly sorted (i.e. '10'
comes before '3') rather than numericly sorted as used in the /etc/rc.d/rc
script.

Third, the /etc/rc.d/rc script actually uses the shell pattern '??' which
will only match two characters (which presumably should be [0-9]).

> ethernet will apparently not start without the loopback adapter in place either
> as a module or as part of the kernel  (I'm unsure, but that's where things seem
> to be pointing)
> I'm also pretty sure lo = loopback
> I don't have it compiled into the kernel
> I'm hosed
>
> more cool stuff
> /sbin/init = IT, period, the shit, da bomb, whatever you want to name it, init
> is it, don't screw with init.  Got it?
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/ seems to be the core of this whole networking thing.
> Unfortunately, mine are all 0 length.. something seems to be amiss.
> still not sure...

see the scripts in /ect/rc.d - specifcicly rc, rc.local, and rc.sysinit
they're not all that hard to read.  the manpage on bash explains alot
of it (though that's a dry way to learn shell scripting - try the blowfish
book instead).

> and after all of this is said and done, I still cannot get my PCMCIA NIC to
> function.  Are all of my conclusions correct?  I haven't recompiled the kernel
> yet to include the loopback adapter, but I'm about to do a make menuconfig just
> to be sure I *don't* have it built in, and am not barking up the wrong tree, but
> I figured I'd send this first to get reactions.
>
> Many Thanks to Kyle....

you're welcome, thanks for the plug to plug :)

try starting/stopping each independantly once you get into runlevel3
if you can start them manually, then you _should_ be able to get them to
start vi the rc script(s) at boot time.

"Finally Bill Gates is taking my OS seriously. Pity I can't return the
favour."
    -- Vermeer <mv@fgi.fi> (from http://slashdot.org)